Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Boys Are Back in Town

All the Blonde Bombers are home!

Thursday was the one clear day between two snow storms, so I took off a few hours of work, drove home, picked up the trailer, drove to Lupine Farm, loaded up the boys, and drove home again.

"The boys" are horses Tanner and Apollo; Apollo is on loan from Lupine Farm as a buddy for Tanner and an extra mount for when I want to take another person riding. He is a black bay thoroughbred/quarterhorse mix in his late teens who has a great personality and experience with racing, jumping, and some trail riding. He will be a wonderful addition to BB Acres until April, when he'll head back to Lupine Farm!

I hadn't quite finished the fencing; I had the top ropes up which I thought would be sufficient for now. Looking out the bedroom window at 9 pm proved that assumption incorrect: Apollo had casually walked under it and was loitering on the outside. On went my trusty Bogs (winter muck boots) and out I went to rig some temporary fencing til I could finish the bottom ropes today. Ah the joys of having horses at home!

After work on Friday I stopped by Tractor Supply Co to pick up rubber mats for the run-in. Between the mats and some hay bales, I needed a way to get them up the hill in the yard to the pasture. So I figured my trusty 4-wheel drive Explorer would do the trick.

This was not the case.

It had been steadily raining all day, on top of the 6 inches of snow on the ground. There is a small, shallow ditch on the side of the driveway which I needed to cross to get to the pasture. Because of the rain and melting snow, unbeknownst to me the ditch had become a raging river in which I promptly got my car stuck.

I could go into details about everything I tried to get it out by myself, but we'll just say that it took me an hour before I admitted defeat and sheepishly called for help. My snow plow guy Jeff (also my coworker's significant other) came to the rescue in the cold, pouring rain.

While I still don't have a plan for getting tomorrow's delivery of hay bales up to the pasture, I am very thankful to have people I can call on for help as I hare off on this solo adventure!

And of course, there are no words for the feeling that I just have to look out the window to see Tanner, pawing through the snow to find every last bite of grass or patiently waiting for me to snap a picture before feeding grain.





No comments:

Post a Comment