Thursday, December 13, 2012

Technicalities

The movers came on Tuesday, loaded up all my worldly goods, and moved them to the farm. The house is slowly coming together!

Closing was supposed to be this Friday (I had signed an agreement with the seller to take possession of the farm before closing). However I learned yesterday afternoon that there are a couple issues, meaning I won't technically own the farm for a little while longer. 

One issue is that the run-in barn was built 14 ft onto the neighbors' land...once the owners realized this, they talked with the neighbors and decided it was okay as is. Nothing was written down, however, so it needs to be resolved. It should be an easy fix - I'll just give 14 ft in a slightly different place to the neighbors in exchange for the piece the run-in is on.

The second issue is a little more complicated. The seller is a widow, and her husband had intended to leave everything to her. Due to an attorney's mistake, the house was actually left to the husband's 4 grown children, which means that they all have to sign off on the sale. Again, I'm optimistic that it's an easy fix, but I'm crossing my fingers and toes!

Meanwhile, my mom is at home while I'm at work, supposedly unpacking. This is the picture she emailed me this morning:


Hmph.

1 comment:

  1. Eep! Bit of a probate snag. Let me know if you need any help untangling in the legal end. We are in the season during which I dust off my lawyer hat and wear it with regularity.

    ReplyDelete