Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday Plans

This is the first Christmas that I won't be at the familial home in Wisconsin. I thought I would be a lot more upset and lonely leading up to Christmas than I actually have been. That is largely due to the chaotic nature of (sort of) buying and moving into a farmette right before the holidays; I have no head space for feeling sad! And I haven't had much time to think about it...it just doesn't feel like Christmas is tomorrow.

Sometimes little wisps of loneliness creep in, but I am continuously warmed to the cochles of my heart by friends and coworkers who invite me into their families to celebrate the holidays. It hasn't been easy, moving to a remote state far away from all my friends and family and struggling to find "my people" in a place that is often insular and folks' dance/friend cards are already full. And yet when I feel at my lowest, someone comes to my rescue by pulling me out of a snow drift or inviting me to share in their festivities. Maybe it's just the orphaned puppy look I sometimes give off, but regardless I am incredibly grateful for the outreach and warmth.

While I feel so lucky and loved to have multiple Christmas invitations, I am looking forward to staying in my pajamas for most of the day tomorrow, perhaps making a hot toddy or two, opening presents while on the phone with family, and having a relaxed dinner with the friend who uprooted to Maine with me, making himself a bit of an orphaned puppy as well.

This picture sums up how I think Christmas will be at BB Acres tomorrow:


Enjoying my animals' company and reveling in the sun filtering through the window, out of which I can peek to see the ponies. (Plus there will be a little wrapping-paper-destruction frenzy of course.)

Happy Christmas Eve to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Kelsey! Sending warm wishes your way. Love your blog and the pic of Finch & Hobbs. Enjoy the toddies and dinner with Alex :o) Jayne

    ReplyDelete