Thursday, January 3, 2013

Origin Story

I thought up "Blonde Bombers" when I was on a solo trail ride on my birthday, riding on a rail trail along the Kennebec River with Tanner and both dogs. I was feeling pretty proud of myself since this was the first time I'd ever trailered solo to somewhere to ride all by myself. It was gorgeous out, the dogs were ridiculously happy, and I was like, "Hey, we're all blonde. We should be the Blonde Bombers."

As the relationship I was in was coming to its end, the Blonde Bombers came to solidify feeling okay about being on my own. The Blonde Bombers were strong, capable, adventurous, and stuck together, even when I felt like curling up under the covers and never getting out of bed. It reminded me of the day that I was on my own with the three other Bombers feeling happy and right with the world.

How I imagine the Blonde Bombers
(Awesome Photoshop job by Meredith Cler)

The Bombers are also meant to deter being underestimated just because I am blonde and a lady. I am fierce!

A quick Google search shows that I'm in good company.

There's this Blonde Bomber, a female race car driver. She's in a sport that is very male-dominated and rockin' it.


Then there's the Blond Bomber Joan Weston (pictured left), the "most beloved of all historical Roller Derby stars," captain of the San Francisco Bay Bombers. I don't think you can get any more fierce (fiercer?) than roller derby.




 And then there's this guy, who was rescued from entanglement in trash and released back into the ocean.



I'm pretty proud to be in such company. And that's the story, morning glory.

Also, it was -15 degrees when I woke up this morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment