Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cold

It is so cold out I can't even come up with a good post title. Maine is in a cold spell right now...this morning it was -9 degrees without factoring in windchill. Currently, at 2 pm, it is 2 degrees with a "real feel" of -20.

There is a nice brisk wind so that when you walk outside, the first response torn from your lips is usually of the four-lettered variety, or for the classier of us:

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUDGE


 Sitting inside where it's warm, it's easy to say It really isn't that bad...all I have to do is make it from the building to my car. But once you take a step outside, it hits you that yeah, it is that bad. It's like when you get a tattoo, or (presumably) have a baby...it's awful awful awful, then once it's over your brain makes you forget how bad it was. So you think, I'll have another one! Baby or tattoo, you forget how painful it is until it's way too late.

Anyway, so there you are, having just stepped outside and gasped the expletive of your choice. Your world shrinks and becomes hyperfocused on one step at a time. Just keep going, just one foot in front of the other. If you dare to look up your eyes immediately fill with water, but not before you see how despairingly long you still have to go to reach warmth. You make promises to the universe that if you can just magically be there, you'll start being a better person or doing that thing you feel like you should be doing.

And then you're there. It takes a while for the sniffles to cease and the warmth to return to your extremities, but once you do, your brain begins the process of erasing the memories of that agony-filled journey across Siberia.

Or maybe you aren't like me and your brain knows just how cold outside it is. I'm not sure which I'd prefer - the constant knowledge of Ughhhhh when I go outside I'm going to be so miserable, now my entire day is ruined thinking about it, or the surprise ninja attack of the cold.

Tanner and Hattie don't get the luxury of that choice. Both have blankets on and have been huddling together in the run in, but I feel bad when I'm snug in my bed with the wood stove going and they're out in the cold. (Not bad enough to go check on them or bring them into the house though [which reminds me of the dream where I brought Tanner down to the basement in my parents' house during a tornado...can't have him swept up like that cow in Twister!].)

I bet they would feel better about the cold if they had some kickin' sweaters though (hint, hint to any crafters out there).


Thanks to Meredith for finding both the gif and the ponies in sweaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment