Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pipe Dream

What an amazing fall weekend! Beautiful weather and chock full of friends, furry and human alike.

I am SO EXCITED about Piper's new home. I had met Shalegh on the Acadia trip; she moved her horse Seitte (pronounced like "Sady") to Lupine Farm shortly after Tanner and I left for BB Acres. Shalegh saw my post on Facebook about Piper being for sale and expressed interest, so I invited her to come up Friday evening for a trail ride.

Shalegh's expectations were low since she's a dressage rider and Piper is a western horse. Lo and behold however, Shalegh fell in love and it seemed to be mutual: Piper really responded to her in a way that she hadn't with me. Shalegh also shared that because of Seitte's extremely wonky confirmation, Shalegh has had to go to physical therapy. Definitely time to retire Seitte and work with a new furry friend, Shalegh!

Shalegh decided to buy Piper, a decision cemented by her boyfriend's similar immediate love of Piper when Shalegh brought him to meet her on Saturday.

Meanwhile, my friend Alex and I loaded up Tanner and Cooper (thanks for loaning him to Alex, Casey!) Saturday morning and drove up north to Lagrange, where we went for a lovely ride with members of the Maine Mounted Search and Rescue unit.

Thanks to Tammy for sharing this picture on FB!

This was also a chance for MMSAR to scope out my riding skillz and make sure I was a good candidate. Tanner certainly passed with flying colors...I had brought the wrong bridle so I rode Tanner the whole day in a nylon halter with reins attached and he was perfect. Despite being on the slowest horses in the group, we had a lovely time and enjoyed the warm weather.

During the day, I had texted Shalegh that if she coordinated it, I'd be happy to bring Piper and throw another horse on the trailer for a group ride with the ol' gang at Lupine. She sent a text back basically saying, "Weeeellll, we've got a ride scheduled at 9 am Sunday..........." So Sunday morning found me, Piper, and Renegade headed east.

At Lupine Farm I met up with Shalegh, Denise, Lauren, and Charlie and went for a long, adventurous trail ride. I also got to meet Lupine's newest human member, baby Willa, and say hello to her parents Emily and Bill and older brother Elliott. Nostalgia!


Rene was such a good boy.
And he looks so pretty in purple!
It was a great ride, and I was so glad to see Shalegh and Piper bonding. Or I should say, Shalegh and Reese, since she decided to go back to Piper's previous name. I will admit that it has grown on me, especially since Reese is peanut butter and chocolate colored, and who can dislike that combination?

Shalegh and her new baby
Photo credit - Emily
I could not have dreamed of a better home for Piper-Reese. Shalegh spoils her furry family and I know Piper-Reese will just blossom. I will miss her pretty face and sweet personality, but she is in the best situation that I could ever think of. Not to mention that I'm glad that Shalegh's body will get a break!

It was a beauteous, horsey, new and old friend-filled, soul-renewing weekend. My house is a disaster, but I definitely made the best choice for filling my time.


No comments:

Post a Comment