Thursday, January 16, 2014

Doldrums Are Dangerous

The last couple weeks have been barely tolerable. I got in one decent ride a couple weekends ago, but other than that it's been too cold or too icy to ride.

So of course what better way to distract myself than go shopping for animals?? (Don't worry, I haven't gotten a new one. Just window shopping. Mostly.)

When I was 10 or 11 I went to Scotland with my mom and good friends Gwen and Gordie. While I was there I fell in love with "heelan coos" (highland cows) and have wanted one ever since.

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/highland-cattle-scotland/

This hearty breed has long luxurious hair and they are just the cutest things EVER. They do well in cold climates, are very friendly, and eat all sorts of weeds.

I have come across a few for sale in Maine at prohibitive prices ($1200-1800), but then I found Gabby.


HOW CUTE IS SHE

Gabby is a 7 month old heifer for sale, a steal at $500.

This is Gabby at a couple months old...LOOK AT THAT GLORIOUS HAIR
I'm about ready to sell my soul for her. I do however have some restraint and realize that I shouldn't spend such a large chunk of money right now on a pet (even though highland cows rarely get sick and wouldn't add much at all to my monthly expenses).

I do not, on the other hand, have much shame. So if you'd like to see Gabby become a Blonde Bomber, please consider buying a decorative horseshoe from my Etsy shop. Or let me know if you'd be interested in helping to sponsor Gabby. I would make you something real special in return! Gabby would send you periodic update cards!

Ah well, a girl can dream.  Hope you're all surviving this crazy winter with your sanity intact!


3 comments:

  1. Gabby! I believe she needs to be under your care, Kelsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put the checkbook down and step away from the computer!!!!! No decisions should be made in the dead of winter in the Northern climes……..

    ReplyDelete