Friday, July 12, 2013

Rescue

I don't like to leave Nellie (Fat Cat) outside overnight because she's gotten into some scuffles with the neighbor cats. However, she was nowhere to be seen last night at bedtime so I left her to be eaten by the wolves.

Usually when that happens she's at the back door bright and early, desperate to be let inside and fed. This morning she wasn't there, and didn't come when I called for her out the back door...I was worried but had to go to work so walked out to my car. I gave one last call for Nellie and lo and behold, heard a pathetic mew in return.

She's gotten stuck in the garage before so I walked in and called for her. It was seriously a game of Marco Polo/hot and cold...I'd say "Nellie?" and I'd get a meow in return. She was not in the garage so I walked back outside.

"Nellie?"

"Meow."

"Nellie?"

"Meow!"

"Where the heck are you?"

"MEOW"

My stomach sank as I realized the meowing was coming from above me.

Found you.
I laughed sickly. It was a pretty hilarious sight, but I also had no idea how to get her down. I thought about googling "get cat from tree" but didn't have much time. People aren't really supposed to call the fire department when their cats are stuck up trees, right? I had no idea. So I grabbed the ladder, hoping against all hope that it would somehow reach her.

When I stood on the very top of the ladder on my tiptoes, my fingertips juuuuuuuuuuust made it to her.I have illustrated the perilous climb for y'all. Please enjoy.




That is me, hanging on for dear life, as Nellie continues to meow at me.

But would she come quietly? Of course not. After a few aborted attempts that nearly toppled the both of us off the ladder, I finally got her by the scruff, crushed her to my chest, and made my slow way down.


I'm still picking bark out of my hair and I probably lost a year or two of my life from the experience, but we both survived. (I made sure to have my cell phone in my pocket just in case.)

Happy Friday! Don't get stuck in a tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment