Saturday, April 6, 2013

My So-Called Life

Some of you (okay, one of you) wonder what my daily life on the farm is like. Most days are pretty boring...get up and feed the animals, get ready for work, go to work, come home, and feed the animals. The end.

Some days are more complicated than others. The water pump in the run-in (the open shelter in the pasture) stopped working a while ago. I could just call someone to come fix it, but instead I'm hoping that it's just frozen and will work once everything thaws out, so I'm just hauling water from the barn in trash cans on the back of the four-wheeler.

Other days I have to move hay or 50 lb bags of feed. On cold wintry days I put the horses' blankets on. Some day I squirt dewormer paste in the horses' mouths. 

And the feeding has its own routine. Jax and Cooper get more grain and a fat supplement because they're too thin. Tanner can be a real a-hole and steal their food, so he has to be tied up while everyone eats. The dogs have to be shooed away from also stealing grain, and I have to pretend that I don't notice them gnawing on poo.

But otherwise it's pretty simple. I've got some spring projects in mind, if spring ever decides to stay. Thursday evening I started on the tack room. Behold my handiness!

Before
After reinforcement
With saddles!
(That pile of sticks was there when I arrived, and I really don't know why they are there. But who am I to mess up the feng shui?)

However, my handiness only goes so far. Half the electrical sockets in the barn didn't work (aka 1 out of the 2), and most of the lights didn't. So I called up Handyman Jeff to come take a look at the wiring, and to also make sure it won't start a fire.  The first thing he did was replace the bulbs, and voila, let there be light. Derrrr. I felt like a total moron. How many Blonde Bombers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

It wasn't a total waste though. Jeff is going to fix the socket and replace some of the lighting with different types, plus take a look at the water faucet.

No comments:

Post a Comment