Monday, October 14, 2013

A Tough Goodbye




We received the sad news that Jax had to be put down a few weeks ago. One day his back legs wouldn't work and he was not able to stand in the pasture.

Even though Jax joined our family for only a short period of time, his loss is sincerely felt. He was a sweet, sweet boy who just wanted to please and loved "his girls" Casey and Audrey so dearly.







It is a very bittersweet ending. He was kept in a shipping container with no pasture for who knows how long...then when he finally hit pay dirt by being rescued by Animal Rescue Unit and subsequently adopted by Casey, he was only able to enjoy freedom for such a brief a time.

I'm incredibly angry that he had to endure such gross mistreatment, but I'm also indescribably thankful that he passed on knowing he was safe and loved.

Many pet owners are familiar with the concept of the "Rainbow Bridge." Many of you also know I am generally a skeptical person and try to pretend I'm above being sappy. But I found this poem today that gave my heart solace. The sixth stanza especially helps calm the storm of bitterness and anger within me for Jax's hard past, and for that I am truly grateful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message from a Horse Spirit
by Katie Graham



Where am I, now that I am
   Gone from your life?
Leaving you lonely and sad,
   For that I am sorry.
But this is a warm place,
   And the pastures are green.
And now I know just how
   Much you loved me!
Everyone here shares the
   Kindness of your heart.

What am I doing, now that
   I have left your care?

Racing with wide-eyed 
   Foals, orphaned no longer.
Breathing crisp morning air
   With wise old work horses,
Now grown young and
   Strong again.
Looking at mountains
   Through the eyes of the
Blind who
   Can see.


Carrying on my back all of
   The folk who never had the
Chance to know the warmth
   Of my sweet horse breath
Or the thrill of a gallop, but
   Always yearned for it.

Visiting little girls who
   Dream of beautiful steeds, 
Flying over fences and racing
   Past the finish line,
Keeping them safe, giving
   Them hope.
  
Saddest and sweetest of all,
   Greeting the ones who
Cross that Rainbow Bridge. 
   Some were wild and free on
The earth, and they remain
  Wild and free. Some were
Loved and cared for, and
   The will be well loved
And cared for here. 


And some of the horses
   Trotting over that Bridge
Were
   Neither free nor loved.
Those are the greatest joy to
   Greet, for now they have the
Greenest grass and the
   Freshest water, and they
Will never be sick or in pain
   Or alone ever again. And
They will always be loved.


So cry for me as humans do,
   And then move on
To tend the mortal horses
   Who need your care and

Kindness. And take care of
   The children; help them
Find their dreams, nuzzle
   Them for me.


I'll be waiting for you
   When you come to pass that
Rainbow Bridge,
   We will piaffe through the
Clouds and leap the
   Lightning bolts, and then trot
On home together to
  Those green, green fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Farewell Jax. You are safe and you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment