Friday, June 13, 2014

The Harlan Experiment

Yikes. I'm not sure why but it was another coma month, hence no blog posts. Work has been super busy and I've been playing the detective game with Harlan, but I did have a LOVELY visit from my brother and his fiance (Tyler and Mary), and we met up with my sister and her husband (Meredith & Chris) for some lobster in Portland.

I got to show Tyler and Mary my very favoritest view, up the hill from my house, on horseback. Well, I was on foot, but Mary rode Tanner and Tyler rode Harlan (we started off with him on a lead rope just in case he would act up, but he didn't need it and Tyler did great for not riding in, what, 8 years?). It was wonderful catching up with everyone.


I've been putting a lot of thought into Harlan's behavior...could it be medical, behavioral, or physical?

We ruled out Lyme disease and ulcers.

I am very reluctant to ascribe it to purely behavioral issues. He is so wonderfully attentive and engaged on the ground and was not behaving this way in the fall/winter.

So this week has been the Harlan Experiment.

Day 1 (Tuesday)
Hypothesis: Physical issue.
Method: Ride horse around home to establish baseline.
Results: Calm on ground, flinches when saddle pad and saddle are put in place. Very tense horse under saddle. Freaks out when scientist moves her leg. Gathers up under himself and shoots forward.

Day 2 (Wednesday)
Hypothesis Something with the saddle is wrong.
Method: Ride horse bareback up the road.
Results: Perfectly behaved horse, 180 degree switch from previous day. Alert and happy to walk along.

Day 3 (Thursday)
Hypothesis: Something with the cinch is wrong. Based on previous test using alternate saddle.
Method: Ride horse with saddle but no cinch up the road.
Results: Initial sensitivity to leg movement, disappears within minutes. Horse releases tension. Tentatively confirms hypothesis.
Note: Scientist did not think through dismounting without a cinch; scientist tries to dismount and saddle slides off. Bonks scientist in the head (helmeted, no damage) and scares the bejeesus out of horse.

Day 4 (Saturday or Sunday, depends on the weather)
Hypothesis:  The cinch is pulling his hair.
Method: Switch from neoprene to felt/wool cinch.
Results: TBD

I've been using a knowledgeable (and patient!) friend as a sounding board for working through this, and she suggested a cause that is so simple that it might just be it: Maybe the cinch is pulling his hair.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it could explain his behavior. When I move my leg, it moves the cinch, and could possibly pull his hair. I have a felt wool cinch that I'll switch to and give it a try. Here's hoping!

In other news...

My girls (the chickens) are a-layin' away!

Party next Saturday! It snuck up on me, so I'm discarding the theme. Just come and have a nice relaxing time.



1 comment:

  1. Awww....got a little tear in my eye getting a mention here. *sniffles* lol

    ReplyDelete